Are you looking for day trip ideas from Edinburgh? The beautiful town of St Andrews is only around 50 miles away, and the journey takes around 1.5 hours by car. Famous for its historic university and as the home of golf, there is plenty to see and do here. We have historic attractions, beautiful beaches and world-class golf courses. St Andrews is also home of Cromars Classic Fish and Chips – so be sure to stop by for a delicious fish supper on your travels!
Getting from Edinburgh to St Andrews
St Andrews is easy to reach by car. The distance is just over 50 miles, heading north via the A92 with 1.5 hours of driving time. Get directions.
You can also get here by public transport. Catch the train from Edinburgh Waverley to Leuchars, followed by a bus into St Andrews. This also takes around 1.5 hours. Plan your journey.
Driving the Fife Coastal Route
If you prefer to take the scenic route, you can drive along the Fife Coastal Route. After crossing the Queensferry Crossing bridge from Edinburgh to Fife, follow the beautiful coastline up to St Andrews. This takes approximately 2.5 hours of driving time. You could even make a road trip of it. Take a few days to explore, stopping at traditional fishing villages along the way, such as Elie, St Monans and Anstruther.
Things to do in St Andrews
Once here, there are so many wonderful things to see and do. Take a look at our guides for more information:
- Golf – St Andrews is the home of golf, with the iconic Old Course and the R&A World Golf Museum.
- Beaches – There are three beautiful beaches in St Andrews, East Sands, West Sands and Castle Sands.
- History – Home to the oldest university in Scotland and many fascinating historic sites.
- Whisky – Visit local whisky distilleries, sample Scotland’s national drink and learn about its history.
- Family-friendly – Bring the whole family along and enjoy museums, parks, gardens and more.
Cromars Fish Supper
Come and see us here at Cromars Classic Fish and Chips for a delicious fish supper during your visit to St Andrews. We use fresh, Scottish ingredients, cooked to order. Our fish is handpicked in Peterhead by expert fish merchant, JKT Fish. Our home-cut chips come from Ivan Wood and Sons in Ballingry. And our tartare sauce is homemade with a secret recipe! We also offer a wide range of other chippy classics, see our menu for the full list. We look forward to welcoming you soon!